English Muffin Bread
This bread makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches!
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine half and half, water, and oil and microwave on high for 30 to 40 seconds (liquid should be warm to the touch but not hot).
- Add the yeast and sugar to the liquid mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix throughly with a fork.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and mix until it all comes together, being careful not to mix too much, it just needs to all be incorporated. The dough will be sticky.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Once the bread has risen, generously butter an 8-inch by 5-inch loaf pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the batter into the pan and gently even out the top.
- Bake the bread for 20 to 22 minutes, until the crust is golden.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool the bread completely before slicing.