Crack Pie Filling (for Berry Crack Pie)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar tightly packed
- 1/8 cup dry milk
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks (it is very important for the density of the filling that you not get any egg whites into this filling, I find it best to separate eggs with my hands)
- combine all the dry ingredients (granulated sugar to kosher salt) in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until evenly blended.
- leaving the mixer on low, add the melted butter and mix for 2-3 minutes until all the dry ingredients are moist..
- add the heavy cream and vanilla and mix for an additional 2-3 minutes until all the white streaks from the cream have disappeared into the mixture. stop the mixer and scrap down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing each into the mixture just to combine before adding the next one. mix on low speed until the mixture is glossy and homogeneous; being careful not to aerate the mixture